Cistercian Abbey of Bélapátfalva

Kérjük görgess

The abbey was founded by Kilit II., bishop of Eger in 1234 as a filial of the Cistercian monastery of Pilisszentkereszt. The founding bishop donated fields and their incomes of nobilities from Eger region completed with three fishponds at river Tisza. Historic data of the construction of the church show that it lasted quite long. It was broken by the Mongolo-Tartarian invasion which did not cause big devastation in the building, according to present state of research only parts of the main walls were existing, that is the main apsis on the eastern side, perhaps with the triple window, the northern cross-house up to the height of the tympan and the western facade up to the height of the shoulder of the rose-window. The southern side at the monastery may also have been built to a certain height, but being the southern isle completely of the 18th century and the wall of the nave Gothic, not much is known about it so far. The building may have been without vaulting…, then Saint Thomas chapel of the church is mentioned in 1246. Later as a result of the clashes of competing noblemen, soldiers robbed and then set fire on the monastery in 1289, therefore the king devoted a certain percentage of salt sales at Poroszló to the church by the request of the abbot. There are construction data also from 1383 when seventeen carriages of wood were delivered to the construction of the church. By the end of the 15th century the abbey gradually got devastated. In 1503 three monks lived here and 1508 there were five of them. The walls of the monastery collapsed and the church was also exposed to the weather. In 1534 it became property of the captain of the fortress of Eger and later Bélháromkút became property of the Catholic seminary (school for priests) by the order of the chapter of Eger in 1678 and later by the order of Leopold I. in 1700 Renovation, going on in several periods began in Baroque style in 1737, supported by Gábor Erdődy, bishop of Eger. The reconstructed Cistercian church was consecrated in 1745. Wall research was done by Ernő Szakál stone sculptor in 1953-54 and 1960. The ruins of the monastery on the south of the church were excavated in 1965 and a lot of secrets were revealed. Among others parts of the 800 hundred year-old water system were found. The internal space reflects Cistercian regulations carved in stone. Restriction to the most necessary, missing out on any kind of vanity, prominance of light, honour, dignity and seriousness. The Saint Imre altar is of outstanding importance, from the later, Baroque period. The oldest church organ of Hungary matches the atmosphere organically, sounded by organ-players at concerts. The wavy Baroque organ-chorus got its final shape during renovations, similarly to the special Louis XVI. style pulpit with reliefs depicting biblical scenes. The magnificent appearance of the abbey is proclamation of the credo of Saint Bernard: „Flame and light!” But to flame only is not enough and to light only is showish nonsense. To flame and to light: this is perfection!” (Source: http://en.belapatfalvaiapatsag.hu/introduction/)
3346 Bélapátfalva Bélapátfalva, Kőalja dűlő

Kapcsolódó